Keep it Real Wednesday
July 24, 2019
People ask Rosemary all the time “What is the secret of living to 92?” “How are you so healthy?” “Is there a secret to long life?”.
I have pondered this long and hard and I think I finally have her answer.
Let me introduce you to Rosemary’s favorite foods:
- Fried Bologna sandwiches with yellow mustard on white bread
- Hot dogs on white bread
- Little Smokies
- Tomato sandwiches on white bread with Mayo
- Baked bean sandwiches on white bread
- White Toast dripping butter
- Jars of Gherkin pickles
- York peppermint patties and Junior Mints in massive amounts at a time
- Maple Bars (intentionally plural)
- Ice Cream with caramel sauce
- Oreo cookies
- HoHo’s, Ding Dongs, Twinkies, Little Debbies
- Canned fruit
- Canned vegetables
- Pudding cups
- Potato chips and French onion dip
As a care provider, I failed miserably with my goal to introduce my mother to a healthier diet of fresh fruit and vegetables, less fatty food, and less sodium. I would catch her trying to wrap up the healthy food in a napkin and slowly feed it to our dog under the table (who would also spit it out).
There was no way for me to change her diet and I began to wonder, why even try?
One of the last straws for me was when I made a beautiful fresh cranberry sauce for the holiday dinner and she asked for the “good” kind in the can. You know…the jellied kind with the tin can rings around it?
I don’t think she has ever taken vitamins either. So, what is the secret to her long life? I think it might truly be nitrates and preservatives.